Have you considered diving off the coast of Mexico in the well-renowned Cozumel? There is a variety of natural beauty to explore throughout the area. With rich coral reef communities in the Caverns of Punta Sur, the Cenotes in the Yucatan, or Carmen de la Playa’s wildlife, it’s no wonder that Cozumel offers a beautiful getaway for beachgoers and divers alike. The 2019 trip By the Shore SCUBA Instruction took covered 5 days in a private boat diving with a PADI Master instructor and accommodations at Hotel Cozumel. The blue-turquoise waters and diverse reefs of Cozumel invite many from the diving community to come to enjoy its splendor. Here are some great aspects and tips to look forward to in Cozumel.
- The friendly locals - Cozumel has a very safe and accommodating environment. Many of the individuals have gone out of their way to learn English, so they can communicate with the large number of American tourists. The food and the nightlife are something to be savored for those traveling to the culturally open town.
- The variety of coral reefs - The reefs of Cozumel are the largest reef system in Mesoamerica and wrap around the island. With clear water flowing through high-voltage drifts and lush walls, the clear waters house 26 different species of coral reef and over 500 different species of fish. All of these are protected by the Cozumel Reefs National Marine Park which ensures the reef continues to flourish.
- The different diving levels available - You can be anywhere from beginner to Tec divers. Do not be intimidated if you are just starting out. It’s recommended to take courses such as the Deep Diver, Drift Diver, and Peak Performance Buoyancy courses for exploring the walls. Be sure to take the cavern diver course for the exploration of caves. These are all available through By the Shore SCUBA Instruction.
When planning for your reef explorations, there are some important tips to keep in mind. This will ensure that you will be prepared for your trip to Cozumel as well as your dive.
- Water - Along with bringing your passport, bottled water is necessary when arriving at Cozumel. Even the locals drink bottled water. Avoid opening your mouth in the shower as the water is not suitable for drinking.
- Cash -Tips are not always included in your diving package. Keep in mind even with meals the friendly locals are deserving of gratitude. Bring a safe amount of cash on your journey or withdraw and exchange your cash at any bank for pesos. No need to worry about whether your cash is any good. American dollars are used as currency frequently in Cozumel. However, exchanging dollars for pesos is recommended as not all businesses keep the dollar amount updated with the peso’s value.
- Scuba equipment and certification - Most companies do not include basic scuba gear. (By the Shore SCUBA Instruction usually includes tanks weights and belts.) Other than tanks, weights, and belts, you must bring your regulator as it protects your life. You will need your wetsuit (1-2 mm short wetsuit for summer and 5 mm full wetsuit for Winter). If you have prescription glasses bring a prescription mask. If you have a dive computer, bring it along if it is small like a wristwatch otherwise you can rent one in Cozumel. Bring along a couple of underwater lights and directional reels as well. You might also want to bring your underwater camera in its housing. You can pack or rent flippers depending on where you are staying in Cozumel. Most importantly, do not forget your certification and all the necessary paperwork you will need to board the diver boat.
- Safety equipment - If you are in the backcountry you will need a bug repellent that is at least 30% DEET. You will also need at least two knives if you are planning to explore the cenotes.
- Consider packing light - If you are flying to Cozumel ensure you have your regulator first and foremost followed by your mask. If you really want your divers to watch and camera in housing can be packed. Afterward, pack your wetsuit, clothes, and small toiletries to ensure your luggage is under 50 pounds.
Booking your trip and classes with By the Shore SCUBA Instruction will ensure you get the most out of your scuba experience. Our PADI Master Instructors will be available on the dives to ensure you safely get the most out of your Cozumel experience. Call us today 919-247-0356 and email